Sunday, July 20, 2008

When You Do A Good Job, It Sometimes Hurts

I think I covered most of our illnesses in my last blog. I learned a hard truth while all of those things were going on.

When you are raising your children, you want to hold on to them at the same time you are trying to teach them to go out on their own. If you are successful, they will eventually leave the nest. This is good, but it doesn't always feel that way.

When I was going through my surgery and physical therapy, I didn't mind that Danny was the only one of my kids that could be here. I was not worried about the surgery, and there is nothing more exhausting than sitting around a hospital. I would have loved to see them, but I would rather see them when I could be up and about.

Anyway, the bad part was that they were so far away. While Wayne and I were going through all of this at home, Terri contracted a very bad case of poison ivy. She was so miserable, and I would have loved to have been there for her. Later, she was bedridden for a few days with a bad case of summer flu or food poison. She even had to stay in bed part of the time Derek and his lovely wife were there visiting. I would have loved to go to Texas to wait on her.

Danny didn't get to stay more than a couple of days, as he had to get back to work. One night a while after getting back to Denver, he was mugged. He had a concussion and had to have thirty-three stitches in a cut above his right eye. He had to spend the night in the hospital. I'm his mother, and I couldn't be there.

Thanks goodness Garret didn't have any emergencies in England.

Anyway, I am glad that the "kids" are able to move away from us, but at times of illness it just doesn't seem right.

No comments: