Thursday, January 31, 2008

Time Flies

I have always heard that time seems to pass quicker as you get older. This is so true. It doesn't seem possible that this is the last day of January. It seems that Christmas just passed, and here we are well into the new year.

Wayne's retirement is still going well. In other words, we haven't tried to kill each other as yet. We have gotten so lazy; at least one of us sleeps until near noon every day. We would probably sleep even later if the dogs didn't think they needed to go out from time to time.

A few weeks ago, we went out to eat with Charlie and Pat. Charlie was working at the music store that evening, and we agreed to meet at Applebee's after he closed up at seven. We stayed long enough to close the place up. It was fun.

One evening last week, Wayne and I went to the Red Lobster to eat. I hadn't had steak and lobster for ages, and until I looked at the menu and saw how much it was, I had thought I might get that. It is up to $26.95 now, and that is just too much. I was going to get my usual shrimp meal, but Wayne talked me into getting the steak and lobster.

When our meal came, the sirloin I had ordered to be cooked medium was more like well done. The waiter offered to take it back, but I told him that it was okay. Once I started eating, I realized how bad it really was. When we were ready to pay, our waiter, Bryce, brought our check and told us he had gotten them to take off for the overcooked steak. I couldn't believe it; they had taken $23.00 off of our bill. Not often you can get lobster, baked potato, and salad for three ninety-five. Besides, I had had over half of the steak to bring home to the dogs. Not such a bad evening, after all.

Bryce said that he knew they sometimes overcooked the steaks, so he had put in the order as medium rare, even though I ordered it for medium. When he saw what they had done to the steak, he got management to take some off of the bill. Why they took so much off I don't know, but I do know we will ask for Bryce whenever we go back. lol

We are under a winter weather watch for today, but so far the expected snow hasn't arrived. A few days ago, we got an inch or two of new snow, but the real story was the wind. It was fun to sit in front of the window and watch the snow blowing straight across. At times we could barely see the house across the street from us.

I didn't make any resolutions this year. The only one I even considered was not to forward so many emails. As long as everyone, especially Kay, keep sending such funny mails, I wouldn't have been able to keep the resolution, anyway.

I am getting so eager to go to Texas and Colorado. I have to plan my trips around my oxygen delivery, so I'll be sure to have enough to take with me. This last order included one empty large tank, and a half empty small tank. Not a good thing.

I think when I go to Texas, I will drive straight through. It is easier to drive eleven or twelve hours than it is for me to take an overnight bag, handbag, and oxygen tank into a motel. I'm so glad that I can pay for gas at the tank; saves lots of walking. Now if I just had a porta-potty for the car, I would be all set. lol

I will probably go to Texas in February or early March, and then to Denver later. I want it warm enough that I can sit on the patio at Pete's when I go to Denver. Gives me something to do that doesn't affect my breathing, while Danny and Donya are working. I will probably stay with Donya, as usual. That is always fun, and she makes me feel so welcome. I'll be glad to see her little boy, Kyle, too. I hope Danny someday gets a first floor apartment so that I can stay with him some. I can't take the three flights of stairs to his present apartment. I hate not being able to breathe.

Our social life has been picking up some since Wayne retired. On the evening of the seventh, we are invited to a pot luck supper at one of the police employee's homes in Liberty. The next day, we are going somewhere to listen to Charlie's band play a benefit concert. We're also planning to go back to Holt for the Sunday jam session before long. We aren't the jet set, but at least we are getting out more.

The worst thing about Wayne's retirement has to be the television being on nearly all the time. I lie down nearly every afternoon, so that I don't have to watch hunting, cooking, or remodeling shows for hours. Oh, yes, mustn't forget the military channel. I go in the bedroom and listen to an audio book, watch a movie, or nap. It gets me ready to face the same type programs during the evening. Our tastes in television are definately different.

Time to put this evening's roast on to cook, so I will stop this boring recitation for a while.

Come on snow!

No comments: